Born in Australia, GERRY JOE WEISE has traveled the World, and has experimented with his many ideas and concepts on Contemporary Art. He left Australia in 1980 at the age of 20, and moved to Europe where he was attracted to the several different European Art movements. He first settled down in Germany (Frankfurt and Munich), later moving to France (living in a Occitane hameau in Southern France) and Switzerland (living high up at 2,000 meters altitude in the Alps). Gerry Joe Weise then returned to Australia in 1999, apart from living in different Australian capitals, he spent some time on two remote aboriginal communities of the Kunwinjku tribe, east of Kakadu Reserve Park in Arnhem Land, at the Monmoyi remote settlement and the Gunbalanya community.
Gerry Joe Weise has utilized many different mediums in his career, from painting using canvas, wood, bark, metal, stone and slate; to installations comprising of "colored pigments on earth", water, plants, totems, wood and stone; to performances and musical "sound-scapes"; to photography, negative engraving, digital photographic manipulation and photographic collages.
The Artist's Statement26 April 2006 by Gerry Joe Weise
The Digital Collages from the "New-Realities" theme use a variety of techniques from "old-school" montage superimposing to "new-school" computer manipulation of the final image. Landscapes can be looked at from a 2 dimensional to a 3 dimensional view. The "New-Realities" theme is trying to obtain a 4th dimensional aspect, the "inner-soul" of the landscape. Some of the works can be looked at by tipping the image around to its side or by standing-it-up upside down. Other works can be looked at from a topographical view, as if the viewer was airborne. I have always respected collage artwork from Modern Art to Contemporary Art, and while creating these works has been a natural on-going process of great passion and desire, it seems I can finally express myself about nature as a whole. One must note that animals and humans do not appear within these landscapes : earth, water, air and vegetation, overwhelm any chance of an animal form making an appearance, and humans seem to be the intruders. Air has a way of being represented in different densities, different colors : yes air has color and form. Minerals give earth different flavors and odors, water creates division and distance, while vegetation creates time and space. It is impossible to escape nature walled up in a city, and do we have to drown out earthly sounds with our mechanics ? Utopia is for amateurs, the sublime is for the unfit, and to hell with political realism on this planet !
by Gerry Joe Weise
It can be said that this theme, is maybe an ultimate theme concerning nature and the Earth. Whereas the Universe is supreme (and nature is too), how can one re-invent nature ? That is, how can one re-invent nature to only do justice to it ? As I have said in the past, ecology is one of man's best inventions and intentions, as it tries (and sometimes in vain) to preserve mother nature. But man cannot replace the organized structure that guides the Universe, and we must stay humble before all situations concerning / dictated by the Earth and Mother-nature. So easy to say, impossible to do... Then why re-invent nature ? Well my works are paying homage to - they also try to point out different ways of perceiving nature and landscape forms - and to show different ways of recognizing certain color schemes known to nature, containing some colors not usually detected by the human eye.
BUSHFIRE Slide show http://www.fotothing.com/slideshow.php?id=weisebushfire
SEASIDE Slide show http://www.fotothing.com/slideshow.php?id=weiseoceanside
NEW-NATURE Slide show http://www.fotothing.com/slideshow.php?id=gerryjoeweise
Born in 1959 in Sydney, Australia.
He has lived in Australia, France, Germany, Switzerland and the U.S.A.
His artwork can be seen in galleries, cultural centers, museums, private and public collections. New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Paris, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich, Bonn, Brussels, Montreux, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Darwin, Auckland, etc.
Gerry Joe Weise is a visual artist who has exhibited since 1982. He specializes in Abstraction, Symbolism, Photo Realism, in his paintings, drawings and sculpture. He also uses video, photography and CGI. He is best known internationally for his installations in "Land Art" and exhibitions "In Situ". He has worked as exhibition curator and co-ordinator for private galleries in Australia (Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin) and in France (Paris, Reims, Albi). Weise has initiated Workshops and Masterclasses in Australia, Europe and the USA.
1968 -1st prize, 9 years old, Drawing Competion, TV Channel 9, Sydney Australia.
1987 -Gold Medal, Grand Prix de France, Visual Arts, Reims, France.
1989 -2nd Prize, Public Choice Award, Salon des Independants, Paris, France.
1993 -1st Prize, Graphic Drawing, Art Show, Brussels, Belgium.
1997 -Best Installation Award, for "Earth Painting", CCA, Munich, Germany.
2015 -Voted number #3 on the Top Artists Charts for the Land Arts Iinfo Magazine, Paris, France.
1985 -Galerie La Grande Serre, Rouen, France.
1986 -Centre Culturel Les Archers, Cambrai, Fr.
1986 -Centre Culturel, Gaillon, Fr.
1987 -"Transmythic Earth" Retrospective:
...............Australian Embassy, Paris, Fr
...............Centre Culturel du CROUS, Reims, Fr
...............Espace AGF, Reims
...............Restaurant VO, Reims
...............Café du Palais, Reims.
1988 -Australian Embassy, Bonn, Germany.
1988 -Australian Embassy, Brussels, Belgium.
1988 -"Earth Church" Installations:
...............Basilique St Denis, Paris
...............Basilique St Rémi, Reims
...............Eglise Viels St Remy, Fr
...............Eglise Neuvizy, Fr.
1989 -Centre Culturel Espace 13, Paris.
1989 -"Earth Music" Centre Culturel Ocre d'Art, Châteauroux, Fr.
1989 -"Transmythic Music" Espace Trésor; Reims.
1990 -"The Sacred - Looking Up" Musée Rimbaud, Charleville-Mézières, Fr.
90/91 -Expositions "Le Chant des Roches":
...............Les Loges, Reims
...............Station Radio 93FM, Reims
...............Espace AGF, Reims.
1991 -"Transmythic Utopia", BK Galerie, Frankfurt, Germany.
1993 -"Transmythic Beyond", CAC, Brussels, Belgium.
94/95 -"L'Utopie", Centre Culturel Ancien College, Sezanne, Fr.
1997 -"Earth Painting", CCA, Munich, Germany.
1998 -"Abstract Earth", LB Fine Arts, Montreux, Switzerland.
2000 -Galerie Jiwini, Albi, Fr.
00/01 -Galerie Out Of Australia, Toulouse, Fr.
2002 -"Earth Spirit", Centre Culturel, Les Salvages, Fr.
2005 -"Distorted Nature", Ancien Temple, Lacaze, Fr.
2006 -"Nightscapes", Jam Factory, Adelaide, Australia.
2007 -"Nature Wide", Junction Gallery, NYC, USA.
2008 -"Abstract Nature", Culture Centre, Buchholz IdN, Germany.
2013 - "The 12 Months / Les Douze Mois", Médiathèque de Montreuil, Laon, Fr.
2013 -"Earth Lines", Land Art, pigments on outdoor ground earth, Sculpture Park, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.
2014 -"Draw a Thought / Dessiner une Pensée", Bibliotheque Municipale Patrimoniale Suzanne Martinet, Laon, Fr.
2015 - "Bark Paintings", Perspective Horizon Gallery, Sydney, Australia.
2015 - "Ground Paintings", Perspective Horizon Gallery, Sydney, Australia.
2015 - "Ground Paintings", Webster Art Gallery, Los Angeles, USA.
2016 - "Ground Paintings", Transient Land Art Gallery, Melbourne, Australia.
2016 - "Land Art Light Box Exhibition", L.A.M.P. Land Art Multi-media Project, Warehouse 80, Sydney, Australia. Large-scale transparencies exhibited on translucent white surface with internal incandescent light source.
82/84 -Galerie im Schlosspavillon, Ismaning, Munich, Germany.
1987 -"Grande Prix de France des Arts Plastiques", Ancien College, Reims.
87/88 -"Rituel Commun / Common Ritual" Exhibitions:
...............Australian Embassy, Paris
...............Galerie La Lisiere, Reims
...............Galerie Clin d'Oeil, Toulouse.
1988 -"Grandeur Nature", SABC Centre d'Arts Plastiques, Clamart, Paris.
1989 -"Installation THNO" Sculpture Park, Tinos Island, Greece.
1992 -"Sun Earth", Centre Culturel Co-Temporaire, Troyes, Fr.
93/98 -Galerie Ligne Roset, Reims.
2000 -Parc des Expositions, Caen, Fr.
2000 -"Art Passions", Galerie d'Art, Boissezon, Fr.
2001 -"Earth Spirit / L'Esprit de la Terre", CCI, Castres, Fr.
2002 -"Earth Spirit / L'Esprit de la Terre", Centre Culturel, Les Salvages, Fr.
2003 -"Earth Spirit / L'Esprit de la Terre", Château, Hôtel de Vile, Brassac, Fr.
2004 -"Nature Nature", Lac du Merle, Fr.
2005 -"Installations", Sculpture Park, Brassac.
06/07 -Galerie Ligne Roset, Reims.
2007 -"Where To Now ?", Artist's Space, NYC, USA.
2009 -"Earth Spirit / L'Esprit de la Terre", Conservatoire, Laon, Fr.
2014 -"Earth Spirit / L'Esprit de la Terre", Le Mail Culture Center, Soissons, Fr.
- 1986 Oct, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - Mythorythmique", Centre Culturel Les Archers Cambrai, édition Les Archers Cambrai, Fr.
- 1987 Sept/Oct, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise", Centre Culturel du CROUS Reims, édition Antigone Reims, Fr.
- 1987 Dec, magazine, Artension N°1, "Gerry Joe Weise au CROUS" by Jean-Marie Le Sidaner, Paris, Fr.
- 1988 Feb, magazine, Artension N°2, "Rituel Commun / Common Ritual - Gerry Joe Weise & Jon Cockburn" by Jean-Marie Le Sidaner, Paris Fr.
- 1988 May, livre de poche, Flache N°1 "Michel Butor", édition Musée Bibliothèque Rimbaud, Charleville-Mézières Fr.
- 1988 May, catalogue, "Grandeur Nature", Centre d'Arts Plastiques Clamart Paris, édition SBAC Paris Fr.
- 1988 Sept/Oct, magazine, Art Line, "Australian Artists in Paris" by Andrew Nuti, AGP Press London England.
- 1989 Feb/March, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - Music", Centre Culturel Chateauroux, édition Ocre d'Art Chateauroux Fr.
- 1990 Jan/Feb, magazine, Artension N°13, "Gerry Joe Weise" by Jean-Marie Le Sidaner, Paris Fr.
- 1990 Feb/April, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - The Sacred", Galerie Contemporaine Musée Rimbaud Charleville-Mézières, édition Musée Rimbaud Charleville-Mézières Fr.
- 1990 June/August, magazine, Marges N°2, "Aparté - Gerry Joe Weise - Sauver l'infini" by Alexandre Ban & Jean-Marie Le Sidaner, édition Ad Hominem Reims Fr.
- 1991 Jan, magazine, Artension N°20, "Gerry Joe Weise - Le Chant des Roches" by Jean-Marie Le Sidaner, Paris Fr.
- 1991 April/June, magazine, Marges N°3, "Peintres Du Monde" by Gerry Joe Weise, édition Ad Hominem Reims Fr.
- 1991 Nov/Dec, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - l'Utopie", Espace AGF Reims, édition AGF Fr.
- 1993 April, magazine, CAC Mag, "Gerry Joe Weise - Earth Spiral", édition CAC, Brussels Belgium.
- 1997 Jan/Feb, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - Earth Painting", CCA Munich, Germany.
- 1999 Nov/Dec, catalogue, "Aboriginal Art - the Ol' Fellas" par Gerry Joe Weise, Gallery Press Melboune Australia.
- 2006 Feb, magazine, "Nightscapes - Gerry Joe Weise", Jam Factory Adelaide, JF editions Adelaide Australia.
- 2007 Oct, catalogue, "Where To Now", Artists Space New York, Art Now editions NY USA.
- 2007 Oct/Nov, magazine, Art Zac N°72, "Where To Now Artists" by David Kellner, Art Zac editions NY USA.
- 2007 Nov, catalogue, "Gerry Joe Weise - Nature Wide", Junction Gallery NYC, Zart Press NY USA.
- 2007 Dec/Jan, magazine Art Zac N°73, "Gerry Joe Weise and Nature Art" by David Kellner and Catherine Defrisco, Art Zac NY USA.